Monday, January 23, 2012

Good Bye America. Hello France!

Hello!

I decided to write a blog about my French Study Abroad adventure for a few reasons. One to look back and remember the experience and also let everyone else know how it really is. I am so happy to be here because this truly is a once in a life time opportunity!


My flight here was interesting. I thought I was ready but definitely NOT! I was still running around tryign to get the weight of my bags down and copies of all my papers. This is my first international flight  and my first flight alone. I realized two things: I am not as independent as I think I am and have no idea what anyone is saying. I rode on a French airline called Corsairway, it is a charter bus plane and the cheapest flight available. ALMOST 400 dollars less!!! Upon check in they gave me directions in French. I know I am goign to a French speaking country  but I know almost nothing. Actually, I know nothing! Luckily, he points so I avoided that awkward blank stare. Once I got to the counter I was worried he would not speak English well. Seeing as this is my flight to leave I was relieved he only spoke English too. I did not want to mess anything up and miss the flight.

After weighing my bags. It came up to 32 kilos.  over the limit! After removing ALOT of my clothes, the scale disappointed me again. He didn't charge me though. I think because we are both young and the other workers have no idea what we are saying anyways. Thank goodness! I did not want to pay 15 per kilo over! I turned in my luggage and hunted for my mom. After searching, I gave up and slowly headed to the boarding area.

My mom has never failed me and in the distance I saw her frantically walking as fast as she could looking for my flight. She is legally disabled, so her walking fast is a HUGE deal. (She payed for it the next day. )Our eyes locked and it was like a slow motion seen of running/ walking fast  to give each other a hug. As we walked where I board, we said our good byes. Turning around and seeing her crying it FINALLY hit me I am leaving for France!

I lose everything and everyone warned me about people stealing your passport, etc. Well I went through security. First, you have to show your passport. Second, you have to put all your stuff in the bins, including shoes. My passport would be the one to fall out of the bin.So I frantically looked for the passport stopped the whole security check point thinking someone stole it but the guy found it in the machine.


Once I got to the gate, I texted and facebooked from my phone for the last time and waited for my row to be called. I 'm not sure if they really called my row but they let me in and I discovered I had the whole row to myself! I was surprised how laxed security is. I was expecting to be drilled and interrogated. If you ever have the opportunity to go on a French airline or any that is not a US do it! The English translations are so funny!

My flight took off at 8:30pm and planned to land at 11:30 am in Paris. Even though it was early as soon as we could take off our seat belts I passed out until they brought out food. The plane gave us two meals: dinner and breakfast. Dinner was amazing. Maybe it was the low expectation or the beer but I loved it. It had a salad , fish , dessert and FREE Alcohol! Breakfast did not have beer only OJ and bagels, yogurt, and muffins. They showed cartoons with no voices such as Tom and Jerry the entire plane ride. I don't think anyone was watching but it was nice to be able to follow along.

Once the plane ride was over the real adventure began. I searched for a classmate I was suppposed to be meeting but I realized we were not at the same airport and would have to fend for myself. I struggled to get to the train station which left for Angers. With ALOT of help and pointing I found the place to buy a ticket and board. A nice, older man helped me find my seat and told me my exit. I tried hard not to sleep but slept 99% of it.

I had high hope that I would be able to find the school till the taxis ride. I gave the driver the wrong addrsss and ended up staranded. The Vice President found me wandering and offered to drive me to the correct campus. He also gave me water, candy and swag. We are best friends now. lol.

Finally, I got to my room. The room itself is pretty nice . It feels like a cruise room. It is compact and tiny. The toilet and shower are in a small cramped space a little bigger than a porta potty. The shower is controlled by the sink too. After organizing my room, I miss my mountain of clothes and will probally hate these clothes since I only have 12 outfits for 5 months! I hate to go shopping but I may have to!

Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment